Welcome to the Bike It Section of the OLQOH website.
Bike It is led by Mrs de Lange (email@example.com
) and Miss Squirrell (firstname.lastname@example.org
). The aim of Bike-It is to:
- Improve the health of our community by encouraging everyone to cycle ( and walk and scoot) to and from school.
- Reduce congestion on our roads (especially in Hare Lane).
- Reduce pollution through less use of private vehicles.
We are supported by 'Bike It' Lal from Sustrans. We also work with our friends from Living Streets, WSCC and Halfords Crawley.
In 2017, we achieved second place in Crawley during the Big Pedal fortnight and we hold regular events to promote and encourage including:
- Visits from Dr Bike.
- Half termly Bike It Breakfasts
- Special days such as 'Bling Your Bike'
- Road safety and 'Be Bright to be Seen' awareness
- Regular cycling and scooter training sessions
- Sessions on how to maintain your bike ie. puncture repair.
Members of our JRSO Team (Junior Road Safety Officers) lead and promote initiatives such as 'Bike It' Breakfast. They meet regularly with the Head Teacher and other local officials from the Borough and County and are currently leading the 'Parking Pledge' drive.
Our school is currently growing (from 347 children to 420 children). To remind Parents, Carers and others of the importance of being courteous towards our friends and neighbours, we plan a re-launch of the 'voluntary one way system' in September 2017.
As a result of the work of the 'Bike It' Team and others, including Mr Melia (Head Teacher), Mrs de Lange (Teacher), Ally Page (LA Governor), our Head Boy and Head Girl and others, the proportion of children and adults regularly using sustainable forms of travel to and from OLQOH each day has increased by more than 10% from 2015 to 2017. We plan to build on this as we recognise that 'Better Never Stops'.
We achieved 'Bike It' Silver in 2016 and aim to be accredited with 'Bike It Gold' in 2018.
SAVE THE DATE - Our Family Cycle 2017 will be taking place on 25/11/17. More information to follow.