The Inclusion Team
Mrs Louise Burrows
Assistant Head/Inclusion Manager
Miss Linda Kelly
Learning Mentor/Inclusion Key Worker
Mrs Liz Alfieri
EAL Key Worker/Librarian
Many pupils have a need for extra support at some stage during their school life. The support they need may be academic, social or emotional. The Special Needs team works in partnership with class teachers, parents and the learning mentor, to help pupils build on their strengths and ensure they can access the curriculum to the best of their ability.
What do the Special Needs Support team do?
- The Special Needs team support class teachers in identifying and assessing specific difficulties a pupil may have.
- We keep a support register of pupils who receive support in school or from other agencies such as Speech and Language Therapist, occupational therapists and the Inclusion support team.
- We support teachers and classroom assistants in delivering individual or group programmes of work and interventions.
- Members of the Special Needs support team assist in monitoring and evaluating programmes and interventions. These enable us to assess whether any further help is needed.
- Where appropriate we can arrange for advice or support by professionals from outside school such as Speech and Language Therapists, Educational Psychologists, Behaviour support and Inclusion support teams.
Special Needs support team and You
Always ask: we want to help
We invite you to make appointments with us to discuss any concerns you may have about your child's progress or any issues you feel are relevant to school life.
The Inclusion support team will keep you informed about any contact we have with your child.
We will work with you to ensure that your child has a positive school experience and achieves to the very best of their ability.
Each term parents will have the opportunity to attend an Inclusion Support consultation meeting in which pupil, parent, teacher and inclusion support team will review previous individual learning support plans and draft your child's new individual learning support plan. In addition to this parent consultation meetings are held termly.
Parent Consultation Meetings: at each meeting you will be offered an appointment with both you child's class teacher and the Special Needs support team. Where we can we arrange to meet alongside the class teacher. If this is not possible we arrange separate appointments as close together as possible. We look forward to meeting you.
Each Autumn term you receive an update from the Special Needs Support team informing you of your child's status on our school support register.
During the summer term you will receive a complete copy of your child's individual provision map which will document all of the support your child has received during the school year.
Open Afternoons: We hold an open afternoons. This is an opportunity for you to drop in and talk to the learning support team. Each afternoon will have a different theme.
If you would like to discuss any matters with us please do not hesitate to contact us. You can email or phone the school office to make an appointment.
Inclusion Manager - email@example.com
Inclusion Key Worker/Learning Mentor - firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
EAL Keyworker/Librarian - firstname.lastname@example.org
Other support and advice:
SEND IAS - formerly known as Parent Partnership
The West Sussex SEND Information, Advice and Support Service provides impartial information, advice and support to parents and carers of children who have special educational needs and/or disabilities.
Contact the SEND IAS Service:
Helpline: 03302 228 555
Check out their website for current events and workshops.